8: Getting Geeky
Listen/Subscribe on iTunes | Stitcher
Featuring very special guest Michael Nobbs, our first autumn episode looks back at vacation time and how we sometimes tend to use even our days off to work a little – or a little too much.
Getting intimate with our inner geeks, we look at the fun of building websites, the discipline of stopping, and promising careers in the ice-cream business.
We also consider the perils of thinking too small, and discuss finding the right balance between getting rich and just getting by (and Amazon’s secret to making a profit from blogging).
Ultimately, we can’t resist to chat about the latest iPhones and how they will suck us in, steal our money, send our fingerprints directly to the NSA – but also support our creative endeavors.
For those of you who’d like to have (more) fun and get more done as a blogger, we release the teaser trailer for C.A.K.E., plus a save-the-date for October 1 – on which the three of us invite you to join us on a live hangout to celebrate Milo’s year without booze and the official C.A.K.E. launch!
- C.A.K.E. teaser trailer and mailing list sign-up page!
- Flow, as described by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi (and a relevant TED talk)
- Brain Pickings by Maria Popova
- Maria Popova’s way of working (including a link to her wobble board)
- Louis C.K. on why smartphones are toxic, plus a thoughtful counter-argument (We’ll spare you a link to the new iPhones!)
- Yuilop app (available for iPod touch and other devices)
- Her, the movie about a guy who falls in love with his computer OS, from Spike Jonze, the director of Being John Malkovich, rather than the writer Charlie Kaufman as Milo suggests (though he is still excited to see it!)